Thursday 29 July 2010

on asking your friend to marry you

So at the weekend (you may have seen the drunken tweet), we asked our friend to marry us. Not as in put rings on our fingers (duh!), but as in conduct our ceremony.

A friend who's never done anything like this before. For two people who dont' really know what they're doing but just have an inclination that this could be fun and mean something good.

But to begin the story proper, let's go back a few steps.

When we first got engagaed, J joked and said we should ask this friend to marry us. He's got the right sort of personality to manage a crowd, and once, years ago, as a sort of joke, got ordained on the internet (not that we're religious, it just seemed like a relevant daft detail to add in here). I agreed that he would be brilliant.

But I didn't like to ask a friend, and as you may have seen from previous posts, I thought we should get a humanist as a sort of middingly official option.

So we went and met the humanist. She was very nice. But J was not keen. Not keen at all.

"Why would we have a stranger do it? We might as well go to a church and have a vicar that doesn't know us as have someone else who doesn't know us."

Also, humanists weddings aren't cheap.

J was set on asking the friend from the start. I wanted to as well, but part of me felt bad asking a friend and thought a more formal option would go down better with our families.

As it turned out, I was wrong. We would ask our amazing friend.

So we met our friend at the pub. I'd asked J to let me be the one to ask him. We started drinking.

We drank some more.

Then we squeezed in another before going to the restaurant.

Then we tootled off for dinner. We drank an entire bottle of wine over starters. Then we got a second

J kept looking at me. I couldn't honestly conceive of how to broach the subject. So the second the friend mentioned the wedding (in passing, I may add), J leapt in.

"Actually, we needed to ask you something about that."

Cue me. Everyong looking at me.

"Ummm... Well. Umm."

Then altogether in a rush:

"Wellwhenwefirstgotengaged, Jsaidweshouldaskyoutomarryus, half-joking"

Then calmer:

"But then we thought about it, and it didn't seem like such a joke. We went to meet a humanist but it's not for us. We thought a friend could do it, maybe - but the only friend who we know could do the most amazing job, is you."

If I didn't know how to ask, then he didn't really know how to answer. He said yes immediately, though flustered and he kept saying it was the most amazing thing to ask and a complete honour."

We all hugged many times. By this time, however, we were red wine-happy, muddling our words, knocking bits of food on the floor and very nearly causing a red wine lake across the table. I think there might have been some slightly misty eyes. There were certainly some brilliant hangovers.

7 comments:

  1. that's such a fab idea :D

    and a brilliant story, can just imagine the red wine lake that nearly happened, hubs was banned from being anywhere near me with a glass of red at the wedding with his history of red wine spillage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So happy for you, it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I looooove happy stories, especially those involving wine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's fab! And it'll really make your day so so special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! If I was able to do this with a friend of ours I totally would. Unfortunately none of my friends are registered celebrants and it's quite hard to do in Oz apparently. Ah - I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah our friend isn't a registered celebrant either. He's just a friend. I don't think, other than humanists and church people, that can you registered for this sort of thing in the UK. I'd love someone to prove me wrong on this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An ex-colleague did this and had (by all accounts) a very beautiful and personal ceremony that meant a lot to them. I love it! So happy that you have found your perfect celebrant.

    ReplyDelete